This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries stems removed and sliced in fourths
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Unbaked double pastry crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb and strawberries and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the sugar, salt, tapioca and orange zest. Pour over the strawberries and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Add fruit and any juice to a pastry lined 9 inch pie plate. Top with a lattice crust or a solid top making slits for steam to escape. Make an egg wash with one lightly beaten egg and a tablespoon or so of milk. Brush on the top of the pie and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45 - 50 minutes.
- Cool on rack and serve warm or cold. The juices will thicken if allow to cool.
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes