This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Grilled Portobello Burgers with Blue Cheese and Onions – a terrific meatless Monday meal that’s inexpensive, quick, easy and will make the burger loving people in your family very happy!
Have you ever had a ‘meatless’ burger that tasted meaty and was really, really juicy? It’s almost shocking how much this tastes like a meaty burger and is so delicious. We topped our grilled portobello mushrooms with sautéed onions and wonderful rich blue cheese for a real treat. Honestly these would be great with any kind of cheese or vegetables. I’m going to try a few more ideas but even my husband asked if these could be on a regular rotation. Absolutely – we really loved these healthy, meatless burgers!
It’s hard to beat a meal that starts with fresh vegetables and involves cooking over an open flame. Less mess in the kitchen – woohoo!
The weather was absolutely perfect over the Easter weekend so it was a great time to dust off the old grill and fire it up! The portobello mushrooms were cleaned then brushed with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic. Marinate for 30 minutes while preparing the sautéed onions.
The mushrooms cook in about 10 minutes and dinner is ready!
Throw in a cold beer and your burger-eating folks might think it’s still the weekend. I added sliced ripe tomatoes and a little bed of lettuce then tried to get this giant burger in my mouth! It took some effort but I managed!
Thanks for Pinning!
We’d love to connect with you on social media. If you try our recipe, please use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert on INSTAGRAM so we can come give your post some love! And be sure to FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER for all the latest recipes and updates.
Portobello Burgers with Blue Cheese and Onions
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed, dirt removed
- 2 medium red onions sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 4 buns
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
- 4-8 thick slices ripe tomato
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl. Whisk to combine then brush over both sides of the cleaned portobello mushrooms. Set aside for 30 minutes while preparing the onions.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions being to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the 2 tablespoons water. Cook and stir occasionally for about 15 minutes or until the onions are slightly browned and very soft. Add the wine, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes or until the wine is evaporated. Cover, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill with the gill side down for about 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and cook until they start to release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms back over to grill the gill side for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and place about 1/8 of the blue cheese on each mushroom on the gill side.
- To serve top each with 1/4 of the onions and place cheese/onion side up on a bun.
- Spread the remaining blue cheese on each bun, add the tomato and lettuce and serve.
We enjoy eating well and meatless Mondays are always delicious. We love our Meatless Monday Taco Salad which is super hearty and delicious. This Spicy Pomodoro Sauce with Kale & Penne is filling and tasty dish that will leave you full and satisfied. We even made a crazy good meatless version of the Muffaletta – check out these Homemade Muffaletta Loaves & Vegetable Sandwich. Would love to try this Vegetarian Green Chile and Pinto Bean Layered Mexican Casserole from Kalyn’s Kitchen. And how about this Spinach Artichoke Pizza from Wine & Glue? It looks so delicious 🙂 And finally, how about this terrific lineup of 35 Weeknight Vegetarian Recipes to Embrace Meatless Monday from Bon Appetit!
Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂