Easy Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread – an American staple often considered Southern comfort food.
Cornbread is blank canvas that can be completely transformed with add-ins like cheese and hot peppers, but it can also be a little sweet too. My favorite way to eat cornbread is warm from the oven, with a little pat of butter on top, and maybe a little honey. Served with a bowl of chili, I’m in comfort food heaven. One of the easiest and most inexpensive recipes to make, cornbread is the perfect side dish for stews, chili and soup, or a simple bowl of pinto beans. Cornbread may also be baked into sticks, muffins, puddings, stuffing, pancake like creations called hoecakes, or even used as a breading for fish and chicken.
My sister makes some of the best cornbread I’ve ever had. Her secret to a moist and tender crumb is adding mayonnaise to the batter in place of some, or all, of the milk or buttermilk. I played with that idea and am thrilled with the end result. This easy Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread has a light texture, holds together beautifully, and has just a hint of sweetness.
Also, some cornbread recipes can be dreadfully dry and I believe that’s why it was crumbled into a glass of buttermilk back in the old days. It was probably in dire need of moisture; but not this cake. This easy Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread is just fine to stand alone, unadorned, eaten straight from the skillet.
Finally, don’t forget to PIN to your favorite Pinterest Board!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, double the sugar if you prefer a sweeter cornbread cake
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like Hellman's)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet or 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven to preheat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Fold in the buttermilk, mayonnaise, oil and one lightly beaten egg. Blend just until moistened.
- Remove the preheated skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the hot pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Cut into wedges and serve with butter and / or honey.
I love baking in our cast iron skillets. My favorites size is the 9-inch but they come in an amazing variety of dimensions and are extremely affordable too.
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Here are a few more cornbread recipes you might enjoy:
Fresh Sweet Summer Corn – Corn Bread ~ from Saving Room for Dessert
Hatch Green Chile Cornbread ~ from The View from Great Island
Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Skillet Cornbread ~ from Seasons & Suppers
Sweet Corn Spoonbread ~ from Southern Bite
Are you a cornbread family? There are so many ways to make cornbread it’s almost impossible to decide on just one favorite recipe. We like it moist so we’ll start there. Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful, beautiful weekend!