This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Skillet Meatball Calzones with Herbed Butter Sauce ~ Calling all calzone, pizza and meatballs lovers, have we got the perfect recipe for you!
Whether you’re having a football party, fun family get-together or a teenage extravaganza at your house, this is the recipe everyone will want you to serve again and again. Made with store-bought pizza dough, jarred pizza sauce, and frozen meatballs, this recipe couldn’t be easier, and it tastes amazing. Served as a hearty appetizer, these cheesy mini-calzones are already a favorite in our house. As a delicious main course, it’s perfect served with a side salad and extra marinara sauce for smothering.
While it takes a little time to assemble the calzones, it’s worth every minute of effort. I’ve made these a few times and wanted to try baking them on a large rimmed sheet pan instead of in a skillet, but nobody would let me. Their exact words were … “Mom, don’t change anything.” They know me well!
Don’t skip the herbed butter sauce either. Garlic, cheese and butter – oh my! No worries if you have leftovers. These Skillet Meatball Calzones rewarm beautifully in the microwave.
Each calzone is made with a layer of mozzarella, a tablespoon of pizza sauce, one large pre-cooked thawed 2-inch meatball, and 1 ounce of pizza dough. Feel free to make each of the different components homemade if you want. If you don’t have time, good quality frozen meatballs will do nicely. I used all-natural pre-made ingredients and couldn’t be happier with the results. The recipe makes 16 appetizers or enough for 8 for dinner.
Don’t you want to take a big bite? I do!
Thanks for PINNING!
I would love to connect with you on social media! If you try our recipe, please use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured. FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER for all the latest recipes and updates.
Skillet Meatball Calzones with Herbed Butter Sauce
For the calzones:
- 16 2-inch frozen pre-made meatballs (thawed and cooked per package directions)
- 16 ounces pre-made pizza dough
- 8 slices sandwich style mozzarella cheese (from the deli)
- 16 ounce jar pizza sauce
For the herbed butter sauce:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- pinch of salt
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- marinara sauce for serving
- Bake the meatballs according to the package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet. Alternatively, lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Remove the pizza dough from the refrigerator and divide into 16 equal portions. If you have a kitchen scale, it works well here. Place the 1-ounce dough balls on a lightly floured sheet pan and allow them to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. (I put my pan in the microwave where it is warm when the task light is on)
- When ready to assemble, take each 1-ounce dough ball and roll out into a 5-6 inch circle. Place 1/2 of a slice of mozzarella cheese (folded in half to a square) in the center of the dough. Top with 1 heaping tablespoon pizza sauce, then 1 meatball. Bring the dough up over the top of the meatball so the edges overlap. Moisten with a wet finger to get the dough to stick if needed. Continue until the calzone is sealed. Place the parcel seam-side down in the prepared cast iron skillet. Continue with the remaining meatballs filling the skillet.
- Once all meatballs are wrapped in dough, combine the herbed butter sauce ingredients and brush the tops of each with about half the butter sauce. Set aside the remaining butter sauce. Bake the calzones in the preheated 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is browned. Remove the skillet from the oven and brush each calzone with the remaining butter sauce. Sprinkle with additional fresh chopped parsley and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Allow the calzones to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with marinara or pizza sauce for dipping and additional Parmesan if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container. Warm leftovers in the microwave if desired.
We love comfort food at our house and pizza is a personal favorite. You can’t beat gooey cheese, rich tomato sauce and fluffy dough – so delicious! If you’re looking for more delicious pizza inspired recipes, one of the best appetizers we’ve ever made are these Blackberry & Brie Mini Pizzas. Such a great combination of unexpected flavors. This Skillet Pizza Margherita is a classic and so simple too! Jennifer at Seasons & Suppers shared these Easy Homemade Pizza Buns and they look incredible! Another must try recipe is this Quick Mushroom and Ham Pizza from The View from Great Island. Don’t miss these Classic Calzones from Brown Eyed Baker – I could eat them for breakfast!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!