This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lightly sweet, dense chocolate brownies topped with melted white chocolate and crushed peppermints for a simple, easy and tasty dessert to help celebrate the holiday season.
During the last few weeks we’ve shared some new recipes hoping you’ll find something perfect for your next get together. To add one more to your must-try list, today we’re featuring a wonderful brownie that’s not too sweet but sturdy enough to hold up under a layer of white chocolate and crushed peppermints. The brownies will keep for several days but the crushed peppermint gets a little “melted” so these are best served within a day or two of baking.
Most of all, good quality white chocolate will make a big difference here. For some reason I’m not crazy about white chocolate chips when melted for a topping. I love them in cookies and bars but not as a topping. To me, white chocolate chips seem overly sweet and oily. Maybe I’ve not been buying the right brands. Anyway, bars of good white chocolate like Ghirardelli or a more expensive brand will be best here. Here’s a good article on What to Look for When Buying White Chocolate from The Kitchn.
The combination of chocolate and peppermint is wonderful in these little bars. However, it doesn’t take much peppermint to seal the deal, and honestly they’re a little easier to slice and eat if the peppermint is crushed fine.
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite holiday baking board!
White Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick or 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces chopped good quality white chocolate, bar not chips
- 1 6-inch candy cane, crushed fine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper making a sling so the ends hang over the side. Fit another piece parchment going in the opposite direction so the entire pan is lined. Lightly spray the parchment with vegetable baking spray. Set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine the butter and chopped bittersweet chocolate. Microwave on 50% power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir until all chocolate is melted then add the espresso powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and salt until combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs, but no raw batter.
- Place the pan on a rack and immediately sprinkle the chopped white chocolate all over the top. Allow the chocolate to soften a few minutes then spread with an offset spatula. Immediately sprinkle the crushed peppermint over the white chocolate.
- Cool the brownies for at least 2 hours then using the parchment paper sling, remove the brownies from the pan. Cut into 16 pieces before serving.
Here are a few more peppermint recipes you might enjoy:
- Peppermint Pie
- Peppermint-Ice Cream
- Peppermint Bark ~ from The View from Great Island
- Peppermint-Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting ~ from Cooking Classy
Finally, just two weeks to go my friends! Are you ready? I’m not … but getting closer. Happy Monday and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful week.