This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy Taco Soup ~ a healthy, protein packed, fiber rich, flavorful soup loaded with tender chicken and plenty of spices, perfect for the slow cooker or the stove top!
Originally posted September 2013, recipe and photos updated January 2018
No cream, creamy soup!
Pureed white beans and plain Greek yogurt provide the creaminess in this soup. If you have concerns about yogurt separating from the broth, I have a fool-proof trick to keep it from curdling. Once the soup is cooked through, the last thing you do is remove it from the heat source and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the Greek yogurt, a little chopped cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice, and serve! Allowing the soup to cool down a bit helps the broth stay together.
Thanks for PINNING!
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1.5 to 2 pounds cooked chicken, chopped (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons citrus seasoning blend (like McCormick Citrus or Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 7 ounces plain Greek Yogurt (nonfat or 2%) I used Fage
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Suggested garnishes: chips, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, cheese, jalapeño slices and hot sauce
Add the drained, rinsed white beans to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken broth and puree using an immersion or stick blender until all beans are broken down. Add all ingredients from the black beans through the cayenne. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt, cilantro and lime juice and stir until blended. Garnish as desired and serve.
For the slow cooker:
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
For the Sriracha Lime Chips:
Cut white corn tortillas into strips or wedges. Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium, until hot. Add the chips, a few at a time, and cook until light brown. Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with Sriracha dry seasoning and lime zest. Repeat with remaining corn tortillas.
We love our immersion blender and they’re great for so many recipes – click on the photo for more information:
- Sweet Potato Taco Bowls from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Taco Stuffed Peppers from Wine & Glue
- Instant Pot Low-Carb Taco Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- The Best Taco Meat from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Thanks so much for stopping by!