This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Make our Perfect Pie Crust in 3-Easy Steps! Click HERE for the pie crust post and recipe.
Homemade Blackberry Pie with a buttery, flaky crust and loaded with fresh juicy berries. Nothing says home like a hand crafted pie.
Blackberry cobbler and blackberry pie have been some of our favorite fresh fruit desserts since I was a young girl.
We continued the tradition of berry picking with our kids, so maybe that’s why our son loves blackberries too.
Taste your blackberries and adjust the amount of sugar needed.
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! If you try our recipe please leave a comment, and photo if you have one, on Pinterest. If you share on INSTAGRAM use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be so happy if you would FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates.
- 1 recipe Double Pastry Crust (see note)
- 5-6 cups blackberries, about 4 pints
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 4-6 pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten mixed with 1 tablespoon milk for brushing on the pastry
- coarse sugar for sprinkling on the pastry
- Pick over the berries removing any debris. Rinse in cool water and drain well. Place the berries in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the berries. Add the grated apple, lemon juice and zest to the berries. Gently toss with a spatula until blended. Set aside for about 30 minutes while preparing the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Roll out 1/2 the pastry and fit into the bottom of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fill with the blackberry mixture, then dot with the butter. Top the pie with the remaining crust. Weave a lattice design or cut slits to vent a solid crust. Brush the egg wash over the top pastry. Lightly sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees then reduce the temperature to 350 and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cover the crust with foil for the last 20 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning. The pie will be done when the blackberry filling is bubbling and thickened, and the crust golden brown.
We recommend using our Perfect Pie Crust Recipe (with how-toVIDEO) CLICK HERE for the full printable pie crust recipe (scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe)
Here are a few more of our favorite blackberries recipes you might like too!
Blackberry Tarts ~ juicy, ripe blackberries nestled in a buttery, flaky crust for an iconic summer dessert.
Blackberry & Brie Mini Pizzas – Soft yeasty dough is topped with caramelized onions, gooey brie cheese, fresh blackberries and walnuts. The mini-pizzas are baked until golden brown and crispy around the edges, then finished with fresh ground black pepper, arugula and a drizzle of good quality balsamic vinegar.