This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Orange Strawberry Muffins ~ made with fresh-picked strawberries, fresh squeezed orange juice and plenty of orange zest, these muffins have a light, and moist texture from the rich sour cream batter. The flavor is robust, with distinct notes of orange and strawberry. Not overly sweet, these muffins do well with a sprinkle of coarse sugar on top.
Are you making plans for Mother’s Day? Maybe your children do something special for you (if you’re a mom – dad’s are special next month) or perhaps you do something sweet for your momma?! If you’re still working on the menu, be sure to print this recipe! Orange Strawberry Muffins will be a great addition to any breakfast or brunch line-up, but don’t wait for a holiday to give them a try. Strawberries are at their peak this time of year!
I’ve often found strawberries difficult to incorporate into baked goods. They tend to sink or evaporate into thin air. But not in this recipe. The muffins cook up quickly in a hot oven, so the berries retain most of their texture, and all their flavor! Be sure to cut the fresh berries into small pieces so you get some in each bite. Save a few to sprinkle on top before baking – because we love that pretty color popping through!
These Orange Strawberry Muffins have amazing texture.
Can you see all that orange zest? Yummy! So … the verdict? This recipe is terrific, plain and simple. Hope you’ll give them a try with your fresh, ripe sweet fruits!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
Orange Strawberry Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- coarse sugar for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 15-16 muffin cups with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar. Make a well in the center.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, melted butter, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice. Add the lightly beaten eggs and fold together until blended using a rubber spatula. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour and sugar. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the strawberries and any juice. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each three-fourths full. Allow the muffins to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle coarse sugar on top and bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Test with a wooden toothpick inserted into the center, it should come out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool. Serve barely warm or at room temperature.
If you’re looking for more brunch-perfect treats, check out our Buttery Apricot Scones, or the very popular Blueberry Breakfast Cake. And don’t miss these pretty and delicious Strawberry Shortcake Scones because I’m sure mom will love them too! I wish someone would make this Beautiful Breakfast Tart for me ~ from The View From Great Island, it’s a work of art! And, round-out your menu with a delicious Strawberry Shortcake Mimosa ~ from Crazy for Crust!
Thanks so much for stopping by!