This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tender, moist and delicious orange scented Strawberry Muffins
Easy to make and perfect for breakfast or brunch!
These Orange Strawberry Muffins are made with fresh-picked strawberries, fresh squeezed orange juice and plenty of orange zest. The muffins have a light, moist texture from the rich sour cream batter. The flavors are robust, with distinct notes of orange and strawberry. Not overly sweet, these muffins do well with a sprinkle of coarse sugar on top.
Ingredients for Orange Strawberry Muffins:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- sour cream
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- orange zest
- orange juice
- fresh strawberries
- coarse sugar for topping
How to make Strawberry Muffins:
- First whisk together the dry ingredients, including the granulated sugar.
- Next combine the sour cream, melted butter, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice. Add lightly beaten eggs then fold into the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the diced strawberries and any accumulated juice.
- Spoon the batter into a prepared muffin tin. Top with coarse sugar and bake!
How long will these muffins keep?
These muffins are best eaten the day they’re made but will keep well for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the muffins. Simply thaw at room temperature for about an hour then enjoy.
Sometimes strawberries are difficult to incorporate into baked goods.
Strawberries tend to sink or evaporate into thin air. But not in this recipe. The muffins cook up quickly in a hot oven, so the berries retain most of their texture, and all their flavor!
Be sure to cut the fresh berries into small pieces so you get some in each bite. Save a few to sprinkle on top before baking – because we love that pretty color popping through!
These Orange Strawberry Muffins have amazing texture.
Can you see all that orange zest? Yummy! So … the verdict? This recipe is terrific, plain and simple. Hope you’ll give them a try with your fresh, ripe sweet fruits!
Thanks for PINNING!
Orange Strawberry Muffins
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups diced fresh strawberries
- coarse sugar for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 15-16 muffin cups with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar. Make a well in the center.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, melted butter, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice. Add the lightly beaten eggs and fold together until blended using a rubber spatula. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour and sugar. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the strawberries and any juice. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each three-fourths full. Allow the muffins to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle coarse sugar on top and bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Test with a wooden toothpick inserted into the center, it should come out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool. Serve barely warm or at room temperature.
And don’t miss these pretty and delicious Strawberry Shortcake Scones because I’m sure mom will love them too!