This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Strawberry Muffins with the crisp sugary top and delightful zing from the orange zest and juice are an absolute treat for any occasion.
The combination of sweet, juicy strawberries and the citrusy burst of orange creates a harmonious blend of flavors that will thrill your friends and family.
Strawberry Muffins for breakfast, brunch or afternoon snack
Our easy to make, no-mixer Strawberry Muffins have a light, moist crumb from the rich sour cream batter. The flavors are robust with distinct notes of orange and strawberry.
Not overly sweet, these muffins do well with a generous sprinkle of coarse sugar on top.
Simple Ingredients… Fool-Proof Results
We start with all the basics: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Since this is a no-mixer recipe we also add the granulated sugar to the dry ingredients.
Full-fat sour cream adds richness to the batter while also keeping the muffins moist and flavorful. You can substitute plain Greek Yogurt for the sour cream or equal amounts of full-fat milk or buttermilk.
This recipe calls for unsalted butter but you can also use salted butter. Simply cut the added salt in half.
Vanilla, Orange Zest and Juice
For a nice burst of citrusy zing, we add fresh orange juice and plenty of orange zest to the batter. A little vanilla extract balances everything out while enhancing the flavor of the sugar, eggs and sour cream.
One large room temperature egg binds everything together and gives structure to the batter.
Chopped fresh strawberries are tossed in a little flour to help prevent sinking to the bottom of the muffins. We also add a few pieces of strawberry to the top of each muffin to add color.
Don’t skip the addition of coarse sugar on top. It creates a beautiful crispy crust that’s impossible to resist. (You know muffins tops are the best part anyway!) 😉
How to make Strawberry Muffins:
A Quick Overview…
1. Preheat the oven and prep the pan
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 9 muffins cups with vegetable cooking spray or fill with paper liners. Lightly spray the liners to prevent sticking.
2. Prepare the strawberries
Dice the strawberries then toss in 1/4 cup of the flour. Set aside while preparing the batter.
3. Combine the dry ingredients
In a large bowl whisk together the remaining 1 cup of flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and granulated sugar.
4. Combine the wet ingredients
In a small microwave safe bowl melt the butter. Add the sour cream, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice. Whisk in the egg until blended.
5. Make the batter
Pour the sour cream mixture into the flour. Fold together until no dry flour remains. Add the strawberries and any extra flour remaining in the bowl. Fold gently until combined.
Using an ice cream scoop, mound balls of batter in the prepared muffin tin. Leave the batter in a ball shape to encourage rounded muffin tops. Set aside for 15 minutes before baking.
6. Top and bake
Scatter the tops of each muffin with chopped strawberries then plenty of coarse sugar. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter.
Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Storing Strawberry Muffins
These muffins are best eaten the day they’re made but will keep well for a few days at room temperature. For longer storage refrigerate the muffins for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze the muffins. Simply thaw at room temperature for about an hour then enjoy.
Incorporating strawberries into baked goods.
Strawberries are a delicate fruit that tend to sink to the bottom of baked goods or simply evaporate into thin air. But not in this recipe. The muffins bake quickly in a hot oven so the berries stay put, retain most of their texture and all their flavor!
Be sure to cut the fresh berries into small pieces so you get plenty in each bite. Save a few to sprinkle on top before baking because we love that pretty color popping through!
These Orange Strawberry Muffins have amazing texture
This recipe is simple, easy to make and practically fool-proof! We hope you’ll give them a try with the seasons best, fresh, ripe sweet fruits!
Whether you’re a baking enthusiast or a novice in the kitchen, this easy recipe will yield terrific results that will impress your family and friends. So, get ready to savor these delectable muffins and experience the joy they bring with every bite.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour divided (159g)
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries (about 6oz or 160g) plus 1/4 cup for topping
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar (110g)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly (57g or 2oz)
- ½ cup sour cream (4oz)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from ½ orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (38g)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 9 muffin cups with vegetable cooking spray or line with cupcake liners Lightly spray the liners to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Toss the strawberries in 1/4 cup of the flour and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and granulated sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter, sour cream, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice. Add the lightly beaten eggs and fold together until blended using a rubber spatula. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour and sugar and gently fold together with a spatula until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Gently fold in the strawberries and any extra flour. Using an ice cream scoop, mound the batter into the prepared pan leaving the muffins rounded on top. Allow the muffins to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake top with the remaining strawberries then sprinkle coarse sugar on top. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with no wet batter. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
More great recipes to try
And don’t miss these pretty and delicious Strawberry Shortcake Scones because I’m sure mom will love them too!
Originally posted May 2017, updated June 2023