This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Grilled Chipotle Chicken Tenders Recipe with Spicy Slaw
Liven up your week night dinner menu with this healthy, quick and easy Grilled Chipotle Chicken Tenders Recipe with Spicy Slaw.
This simple chicken tenders recipe is the perfect 30-minute weeknight dinner solution. The chicken breast tenders cook quickly and as they’re somewhat uniform in size and thickness, you won’t get any burnt ends or dried out chicken pieces. They’re on the grill for about 10 minutes!
Hot from the grill, the juicy chicken tenders are tossed in a flavorful sauce made with chipotle chiles, honey and orange juice.
Sweet heat – oh yes! We keep a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce in the pantry at all times. It’s one of our favorite ways to enhance the flavors of a sauce, soup or just about anything including these grilled chicken tenders. We use these earthy peppers in our recipe for Grilled Pork Chops with Chipotle Butter, our tasty Slow-Cooker Pork Posole Recipe, Smoky Chicken Tinga Tacos and our Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe which is always on the dinner rotation. You won’t need the entire can of chiles for this recipe so flash freeze the rest to use another time, in another great recipe!
This grilled chipotle chicken tenders recipe is terrific served over a simple spicy slaw.
Both the chicken tenders and the spicy slaw share a similar dressing made with canned chipotle chiles, honey, orange juice and mayo. The slaw is crunchy and light providing nice textural contrast against the juicy, warm grilled chicken breast tenders. I love the little hint of sweetness from the honey and orange juice too. The flavor combination is unique and smoky and the components compliment each other perfectly!
Citrus adds some nice acidity and the chipotle peppers bring the heat.
This chicken tenders recipe has the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, tangy and fresh. It’s a complete meal that’s very satisfying, quick, light and guilt-free. The perfect weeknight summer dinner solution for the whole family!
Serve these chicken tenders with fresh oranges and a squeeze of lime for the ultimate flavor experience!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be grilling friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
Chipotle Chicken Tenders Recipe with Spicy Slaw
For the spicy slaw:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mashed canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (use the soft chiles)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cups finely sliced cabbage, a combination of green and purple
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup thin sliced sweet yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced (pickled jalapeños are good too)
For the chicken tenders:
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast tenders
- Vegetable cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (soft) mashed, canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
To prepare the slaw:
- In a 2-cup measuring cup with a spout, combine the lime juice, orange juice, salt, mayonnaise, mashed chipotles, and honey. Whisk until combined. In a large mixing bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, onion and jalapeño pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage and toss to combine. Set aside while preparing the chicken.
- In the same measuring cup used for the slaw dressing, combine 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mashed chipotle chiles, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice. Stir or whisk to combine and set aside.
To prepare the chicken:
- Preheat grill on high. Clean the grates with a grill brush. Grease the grates with paper towels soaked in vegetable oil.
- Lightly spray the chicken tenders on both sides with vegetable cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken tenders on the preheated grill for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the grill to a large bowl and immediately toss with the prepared mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve immediately with the slaw garnished with parsley.
- Adapted from 20-minute mains WW Magazine, summer 2019
Finally, here are a few more of our favorite quick and easy chicken dinners you might enjoy:
Enjoy this Easy Spicy Honey Lime Chicken Thigh Recipe. Made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The chicken cooks quickly and is finished in a delicious garlic infused sauce that’s sticky, sweet and spicy, with a tart citrus tang from the lime juice. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Grilled Chicken Skewers with a Sweet Sriracha Glaze. Spicy and sweet is a fantastic combination but especially when slathered on tender chunks of grilled chicken. This simple, sweet sauce caramelizes on the chicken, leaving it tender and juicy with a just a little hint of heat. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Grilled Chicken with Nectarine Relish. Lightly marinated, grilled chicken breasts topped with a relish made with nectarines, red onion, fresh basil. Delightfully delicious! Click HERE to get the recipe.