This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Maple Walnut Pie – it may look like pecan pie, but it has a completely different flavor all its own!
How do you know which is the best maple syrup to buy for this walnut pie?
How do you keep the bottom crust from being soggy?
Soggy bottomed pies can be so disappointing. To ensure your bottom crust is crisp and well browned, follow these few simple fool-proof steps:
- Place a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet or baking stone in the oven while it preheats.
- Use a good, heavy gauge aluminum pie pan like the one in the photo below.
- Place the filled, unbaked pie on the preheated stone or pan and bake!
- Direct contact with the hot metal of the pan or stone helps to brown and crisp the bottom crust under all the filling.
This really works! Give it a go and let me know what you think 😉
Can you use another kind of nut for this walnut pie?
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one. If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust (see notes for recipe link)
- 1 ½ cups walnut pieces (131g or 4 ¾-ounces)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (42g)
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed (67g)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups maple syrup (388g or 13 ¾-ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
Place a foil lined baking sheet or stone in the oven and preheat to 375° F degrees.
Prepare a 9-inch unbaked pie crust. Pour the walnuts in the pie crust and set aside.
Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly. In a medium mixing bowl whisk the eggs until blended. Add the brown sugar, flour, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until blended. Add the melted and cooled butter. Whisk together and pour over the walnuts in the unbaked pie crust.
Bake the pie on the preheated baking sheet for 45 minutes or until the pie filling is puffed and set and no longer jiggly.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
Try our Perfect Pie Crust in 3 Easy Steps recipe found HERE
Inspired by a recipe on allrecipes.com
Here are a few more recipes you might also enjoy:
Published December 2011, Updated November 2019